Send your mail list by email attachment to email@example.com or bring a copy on CD to Cooper Publications Building, Room 40. Please use one of the following file formats:
- MS Excel (*Preferred)
- MS Access
- CSV (Comma Delimited)
- DBF Format (dBase)
*Scroll down for more information on how to organize your mailing lists
We will merge mailing lists and remove duplicate names when requested. We CASS or NCOA certify your mailing lists to insure address accuracy. After certification, we process the mailing through our electronic addressing systems, and prepare it according to USPS automation requirements.
National Change of Address (NCOA) Processing
NCOA Processing attempts to match records to addresses in the NCOA database. Processing fees depend on the number of records in the list. The NCOA process reduces "undeliverable-as-addressed" (uaa) mail and keeps track of customers who move.
CASS certification verifies, corrects, and standardizes the street names, city, and zipcodes. Misspelled or incorrect street or city names are automatically updated during this process.
- Reduces costs by reducing the number of undeliverable pieces.
- Provides faster product/service marketing through increased delivery accuracy.
- Improves merge/purge results.
- Decreases prep time by using automated reports and container tags.
We do not automatically remove duplicate addresses from each mailing list that comes though. If you need this service please inform your Publications Coordinator or send us an email with details.
The inkjet addressing machine is very versatile and can apply addresses to a single sheet, a folded brochure, a booklet, or even a catalog. Sizes range from 3"x 5" to 10" x 12". Inline tabbing is available for mail pieces that require a tab to keep the piece closed during mailing.
High speed machine envelope insertion is available upon request. Up to six pieces can be inserted into a #10 envelope. This may include any combination of return envelope, folded brochure, or single card. Each piece may vary in size and thickness. Envelopes are automatically sealed and metered with postage as needed. These processes occur in a single pass with great accuracy.
- Mailing list storage and maintenance.
- Pressure sensitive labels.
- Bulk mail processing (bulk, sort, tie).
- Immediate access to WSU mailing lists for faculty, staff, TAs/RAs, department secretaries, and academic administrators.
Organizing Your Mailing Lists
Your database should be set up so that each record is contained in its own row. The individual elements of each record should be contained within separate fields in the same row. We do not accept lists containing addresses that are separated into multiple rows (Bad Layout #2). All data for each record must be contained within the same row in a database.
Bad Layout #1:
Bad Layout #2:
Worksheets vs Files
To avoid confusion or delays save multiple lists as seperate files. Files with multiple tabs containing various address lists within a single Excel file will be accepted but may cause delays or loss of data if we are not informed before hand. Also, remove any/all tabs with extra information to avoid confusion.
When sending your mailing list via email the email header and the name of the mailing list should be unique and comprehensible. Avoid generic titles such as "Fall Newsletter" since other departments may also have a fall newsletter going out around the same time as yours. Attaching your department name or using an assigned UP job number will also help avoid confusion. To receive a UP job number contact your Publications Coordinator or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Organizing Your Records
There is a maximum of 50 characters per line, including spaces, punctuation, etc.
1. Name (Optional): Addressee information may be submitted as either one field titled "Name" or as a combination of any of the following five fields, provided that the total number of characters when combined does not exceed 50:
- a. Prefix "Mr", "Mrs", "Dr", "Lt", etc.
- b. First Name
- c. Middle Name
- d. Last Name
- e. Suffix "Jr", "Sr", "III", "Ph.D.", "MD", etc.
2. Title (Optional): Professional title ("President", "Sales Manager", "Marketing Director", etc.)
3. Company (Optional): Company name
4. Alternate 2 Address (Optional): Could be a department name ("Sociology Department" etc.)
5. Alternate 1 Address (Optional): Second line of address (Suite#, Apt#, etc.)
6. Address (Required): Deliverable address
7. City (Required): City
8. State (Required): State
9. Zip (Required): Zip code (either 5 or 9 digit)
10. Foreign City, State, Zip (Required if mailing outside U.S.): This may be submitted as either one field titled "Foreign City, State, Zip" or as a combination of any of the following three fields, provided that the total number of characters when combined does not exceed 50:
- a. Foreign City
- b. Foreign State
- c. Foreign Zip
If possible, foreign addresses should be sent in a separate data file or have separate fields for the City, State, Zip Code, and Country fields. If these records are included in your domestic U.S. list, make certain that you do not have international postal or zip codes in the field designated for the U.S. zip codes.
11. Country (Required if mailing outside U.S.)
Note: Additional information such as ID/member numbers, expiration dates, or customer codes will be used only when it is explicitly requested.
WSU On Campus Lists
On campus mailing lists must be saved in a seperate file. The database should have the individual's name and a plus-4 zip. The department name is optional. You can download a sample Excel file (xls) here or a text (txt) here.
If you have any questions or concerns you can contact us at email@example.com call 335-3518.